Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Yacon.....Rhymes with Bacon?

So, yippee, I'm doing my first product review EVER!




And I'm really excited to be able to do it for such a unique and wonderful product from Life & Food.




"Yacon syrup? What's that?" That's what I said when I first heard of it, anyway! Well, let me explain a bit about this wonderful sweetener to you. To answer the question in my title, no, it is not pronounced like "bacon", but rather has an accent mark over the "o". So it's "yay-CONE". Anyway, it's made from a plant that grows in certain places in South America. The root is juiced and then cooked down to a syrup. The premium syrup is considered a raw product because it is only heated at 45 degrees Celsius. This product is low on the glycemic index, making it diabetic-friendly and a great option for natural sweetener. It also can help to boost metabolism and improve digestion, as it contains a fair percentage of prebiotics.

Now, as for how it tastes. I would describe it as having a mild molasses-like flavor, minus the bitterness. It is delightfully sweet and tasted great with everything I added it to! My favorite was to have it on toast or pancakes. We also used it in our regular homemade salad dressing instead of honey. We used it in smoothies, too, and I am including a recipe for my newest, absolute favorite smoothie made with none other than.....yacon! :)

As you can see, we really enjoyed it! The only down side is the price...on a tight budget, this is a little hard to justify. However, if you only use a little bit of it here and there like we did, it can last a while and you'll get more bang for your buck. If you take the recommended 3 teaspoons a day specifically for weight loss...well...it might get a little pricey for you!

OK, here's the recipe. It's not mine actually, it's Derrick's. I'll be honest, he is the master chef around here. And he usually just whips stuff up, but I asked him to write down the amounts he used, and he kindly obliged! So here it is...my super duper favoritest smoothie in the world created by Derrick Howry! :)

Coconut Yacon Green Smoothie (Dairy Free)
1 cup kale
1/2 cup spinach
3 frozen bananas
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp coconut cream
2 cups coconut milk (or any kind of milk if you're not dairy free, but the coconut flavor is awesome!)
3 tsp yacon syrup

Serves: 3

Optional:
cocoa powder and peanut butter to taste (This is what makes it my favorite, but not everyone likes it this way...that's what Derrick tells me anyway. I have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't want a chocolate peanut butter smoothie, but that's their loss I guess!)

I found this video that gives lots more info about yacon, in case anyone is interested!!

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

5 comments:

  1. Cool....never heard of it....you learn something new every day!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it either! But it is so delicious...I'm really glad i got to review it!

      Delete
  2. so what is the price and where does someone buy it if they wanted to try it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh disregard last comment...there was an ad that popped up that goes right to Amazon with the price and info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes...that ad was put there by me! :)

      Delete