Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Deep Conversations with my 5-year-old

I think Chloe is well beyond her years in the way she views the world. It's like she reads my mind sometimes and when I explain something to her, she just gets it. I really don't need to simplify things or leave things out..she just grasps big concepts and with such grace. Today was no exception.
 In the car today we got onto the subject of countries that do not allow Christianity. We have talked about this before, a few times, so it's not a new concept to her. We talked about how in some countries, people go to jail for being Christians. I explained that this is not a reality in our country, but it is for many other people. She got to thinking and had some fears that this could happen to us. She said, "Mom, if that ever happened to us, and we had to go to jail, would you help me to be brave and trust in God?" My heart ached at these words, because although I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be a reality as long as we live in the US, I can't promise her that it will never happen. But I didn't say anything about that. Her little heart doesn't need big fears that may or may not come true someday. What I did say is, "Chloe, if that ever happened to us, I am pretty sure that you are the one who would be helping Mommy be brave. You are such a brave girl, and you trust in God already."
"Yeah, I would! I'd help you and Daddy be brave and I'd help my brothers, too."

This is heavy on my heart as I was just reflecting with Derrick last night....I feel that we are too comfortable in this country. I've felt it for a long time, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I told him that I don't want to subject our children to the dangers of living in a country that doesn't allow Christianity, but at the same time, places like that are full of Christians who are on FIRE for Christ, who are willing to do whatever it takes to get the word out and are even ready to die for what they believe. It's real. The Church is active and alive in these places. Because there is no middle ground. You either love Christ or you don't. Here in America, we are so easily able to live "in between". We don't have to commit fully. We can do our Sunday thing and go about our lives as if God doesn't even exist. It bothers me a lot...we do really try to fill our home with truth by discussing, reading, and studying the Bible daily. We talk about the things God is teaching us and we pray together. But sometimes we are still so distracted by the comfort and ease of this temporary life. I want more for us as a family, and I want more for my children as they grow. Some may think, would you really want your kids to live such a dangerous life? I don't know. I mean, of course I don't want to go through suffering, no one does! But I'd venture to say that this "comfortable" life in America can be far more dangerous than a life lived in a place that is hostile towards Christians. Because at least there, it would be real, and alive, and meaningful. I really feel that where we are now has the potential to be much more destructive to the soul...and in the end, when we are facing eternity, what kind of safety matters more? Our physical bodies? Or the condition of our souls? As Jesus said, we don't need to be afraid of those who can kill the body...rather we should be much more concerned with our eternal existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment