I love reading. My kids are absolutely obsessed with reading. One of the things I love most is that the end of one chapter and the beginning of the next are always the most interesting and exciting parts. And that is where our family is at right now!
We just closed a 6-year chapter living in New Town/Plaza and serving with our church family there. They are wonderful. I can't describe fully just how amazing our time has been with them, but I will sum it up by saying that they are absolutely our family and that will never change, regardless of the distance.
I will be honest that I sensed for a while that this chapter was coming to a close, probably around the time that Eliyanah was born. God has been doing a lot in my heart and in all of us, and it seemed He was preparing us for something new. We had no idea exactly what that would be, though.
When the opportunity to apply for a pastoral position first was presented to Derrick, we were hesitant. Not because he doesn't want to serve in this capacity. In fact, we had been praying about this for a long time, and very much wanted to. To be honest, we were wanting to make sure that we didn't get ahead of God, and were trying to remain content in our circumstances. He had a job that paid the bills, we had a place to live, and we were starting to get to know our community a little better. We were doing ok on the surface. But deep down, oh we both longed for more. More of "doing life together" with people in the church and in our neighborhood. More of living out our faith. More opportunities to build relationships for both me and the kids. A better setup for Eliyanah when she needs medical care or therapy that doesn't involve long drives. I have felt like I am missing something for a long time. Winters are hard, especially, because I could easily go a week or more without even speaking with another person besides Derrick and the kids. I knew I couldn't continue in that way of life for the long haul. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but at times it was not good for my mental health, especially since having Ely. I need a network, a support system, and I want to BE that support system for others as well. I was also exhausted from all the traveling. We enjoyed going to Minot, but we were there 3 times a week, even during the winter. It just was starting to feel like too much.
Still, Derrick applied for the position with the attitude that if this wasn't meant to be, it was ok. We would make the most of wherever He has us. As long as we are following what God wants for us, that is all we wanted. It is how I felt, too.
The process went smoothly and before we knew it, we were at the church meeting everyone! I will never forget how daunting and overwhelming that seemed. It's hard not to worry about what people think of you when you are literally there for the purpose of people deciding what they think of you. ;) But honestly, it was beautiful. Easy. Comfortable. Real community. We sensed that this was what God was calling us to, but didn't want to talk about it as though it were a definite thing until it was official. We wanted to be sure to let God lead every step of the way.
Derrick got the official call on June 30th. He accepted. Now we could start making plans!
July 1st, we hit the ground running. Projects around the house, and even some packing. Keep in mind, we were not ready to list the house yet, we did not have a clue where we'd live, or how long all of this would take. We just started wrapping things up little by little. The hardest part of this process was telling all our dear friends who we have grown close to over the years. It was a bittersweet time, but also a time of experiencing confirmation that this was truly God's plan and we were ready to follow His calling.
We listed the house for sale on July 18th. We had an offer on July 20th. It went under contract a week later and we are just waiting now on the appraisal, which won't happen until early September. (That's how hard it is to get an appraiser to come out there.) Prayers appreciated that this last hurdle before closing will go smoothly!
On July 24th, we found an apartment. Less than a week after listing the house, which I know sounds absolutely crazy. But this is how God works! When He moves, He doesn't waste any time. By the 31st, we had checked in and officially had an address in Dickinson. Praise the Lord!
In the two weeks that followed, it was a whirlwind of packing, leading VBS in New Town, saying goodbyes, selling things, and finishing up their summer Bible Bee study in Minot with our dear friends there.
We got here on August 15th, and it's been amazing, and I'll be honest, exhausting as well. We have met many wonderful, generous, thoughtful people. Many of those people moved us out of our house and into a 2nd floor apartment. No small feat, but with so many people, it went incredibly fast. It was such a blessing for Derrick to not have to do it almost completely by himself, which is what happened with our last move! We have settled in (mostly) and will still have boxes to unpack for a while, but it feels like home, and that's all that matters to us. We have done the apartment thing before, and I truly enjoy it! I have often missed those days in New Hampshire. It may not be for long, as we will be looking at houses once our house is officially sold. But either way, I will enjoy this little "break" from all the responsibilities that come with owning property!
Derrick started right away on Monday this week, and he is excited to dive in. We are so thrilled to be a part of this community of believers and to start building relationships. It's just the beginning, but we are looking forward to seeing what God will do in and through us, and how He will cause us to grow in our faith and in our relationships with Him and with each other as a family!
To God be the glory for this new chapter. We have LOVED the last one, and have cherished the time He gave us to be a part of the ministry in New Town. We know that those wonderful people are still our family, and are praying for us, as we pray for them and the ministry there. And as we turn the pages, we are eagerly anticipating the story that is about to unfold here in Dickinson and at EBC. We know that it's going to be exciting, because when God is the author, it is certainly never boring!
Amen! All to the glory of God! Praying...always. ❤️🙏☺️
ReplyDelete